Sunday, March 14, 2010

To Weed or Not to Weed?

Common Dandelion: Taraxacum officinale

While some of my gardening buddies are stressing over the "weeds" that are sprouting in their lawns, I'm rejoicing over the early spring flower show these same plants are providing at my home. 

Common Dandelion: Taraxacum officinale

There have been occasional Dandelions blooming since mid February.  They're bright, cheery and provide an essential early source of pollen for honey bees.  Dandelion leaves are interesting because they are specially designed to funnel the maximum amount of rain water directly to the plant's root.  And then there's the name --  who could not like a plant named "Lion's Tooth" in every European language? 

Persian Speedwell: Veronica persica

There's a huge patch of Persian Speedwell by the side entrance to the post office and another near my garden gate.  This time of the year, the lush, spreading, green mats are dotted with perky blue and white flowers that are decorated with darker blue stripes.  There're several kinds of Speedwells, including the very seriously hairy Ivy Leaf variety. 


Ivy Leaf Speedwell: Veronica hederifolia

In my front garden, I have a mixed bed of lettuce, with its lovely, tender, chartreuse leaves, and  tough little violas that survived the winter snow.  They're both being complemented by occasional Field Pansies.  Yes, they're "weed," but they look so sweet that I don't have the courage to remove them just yet.  I think I'll just save myself some work and enjoy my "weeds" while they last.


Field Pansies: Viola kitaibeliana


No comments:

Post a Comment